Sabrina Wolfe

Sabrina Wolfe
Smiles can be decieving.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rediscovering an Old Friend

Tuesday April 24, 2012.


Hi!  I know it's been awhile since last time but, I've been rediscovering an old friend, Doctor Who.  I watched back in the seventies with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.  There were other to follow but then, my station stopped showing it.


I eagerly watched the Movie version with Paul McGann as the eighth Doctor and was crushed when he wasn't given the role when the series was revived in 2005.  I liked the little Victorian gentleman, reminded me of the episodes I had been able to see of William Hartnell as the original Doctor.


Don't get me wrong, I liked Christopher Eccelston's interpretation of the character.  I could just imagine all he had been trough with the Time War, losing Gallifrey, his people and finally, losing Grace.  I could imagine his grief at losing her and that's why he was so cold, so aloof.


Then, he met Rose.  I like her, she wasn't all that silly or fluffy, if you know what I mean and he began to unbend a little.  Of course, I watched, shivering in delight , "The Parting of the Ways".  That was one determined companion!  What she did to get back to him, absorbing the Time Vortex into herself!  You go girl!


Then, Ten arrived.  I liked him immediately.  I think his best performance was in "School Reunion" when he once again met up with the intrepid Sarah Jane Smith.  Her face, when she saw the TARDIS, and then him.  Sarah Jane voiced what each of his previous companions had thought, "Did I do something wrong?  Why did you leave me behind?"


What he said to Rose was so telling and it expressed his soul so much.  Not being able to watch them age and wither.  How he hurt to have to see that so, he took them home before it happened.  


I'll have to admit, I'm not all that fond of Matt Smith's characterization.  I don't like the Doctor that crazy and the River song storyline seemed to be a betrayal to me.  The storylines with Grace and Rose worked.  This one, though, just did not grab me in fact, I think River Song was better with Ten than she ever was with Eleven.  Just my opinion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment